Saturday, May 2, 2015

Memory Verses for Toddlers




My son, B, is going to be 3 in July and I have been teaching him some Bible verses. You might think that he is too young to learn memory verses but he has already learned two and I am going to keep teaching him.

Learning God's word needs to be fun for a child, especially a toddler. Use actions, crafts, coloring, games and have lots of fun. Make learning the verses fun and exciting and your child will want to learn more too.

The first two verse B learned were Isaiah 43:1 and Joshua 24:15.

Isaiah 43:1 "I have called you by name, you are mine."
B learned this by watching this video.


Joshua 24:15 "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.
Make this easy craft to teach your child this verse.
http://adventuresofallergymom.blogspot.ca/2015/04/joshua-2415-craft.html
 
A list of the next few Bible verses we will be learning.
 
Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is One Lord.
 
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.
 
Psalm 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.
 
Psalm 119:11 Thy word hath I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
 
Ephesians 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism.

 
6 Tips to Teaching Memory Verses


1. Look for signs that your child is ready to memorize Bible verses. Is He remembering words from his books and 'reading' back to you? Can she sing the words to her favorite songs? Are they mimicking phrases you say? If so, chances are your child is ready to begin memorizing the Word of God.

2. Pick one verse and study it for a week. Each day spend a few minutes going over the verse and help your child repeat it after you. If they won't repeat it, don't worry about it. My son does this to me and then will repeat it back a few minutes later so I know he is learning.

3. Make it fun and exciting. Learning needs to be fun, sing your verse, make crafts, use actions, get involved with your child.

4. Encourage your child every day. Show enthusiasm every time they say the Bible verse even if they only say part of.

5. Be patient. Don't pressure them, take your time and don't expect them to learn it in a day. Just enjoy the time with them and let them learn in their own time. If it takes more than one week to learn a verse, that is okay.

6. Don't forget about the verses that your child has already learned. Say them with them every week or even every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment